Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Gudi 9603 Not Lego Ice Cream Truck Set Review

I just got this ice cream truck off Aliexpress.  It's made by Gudi and the set number is 9603. My Aliexpress order came super fast despite having no tracking number.  I was starting to get worried that the seller was trying to scam me, but now it's all good.  

 The manual is in the form of a booklet, with all the instructions laid out fairly well.
At the end of the Gudi manual, there is a parts list, just like Lego.  I can't recall Lepin ever doing this in their manuals.

Gudi gives you a sticker sheet to apply all the details on the ice cream truck.  Unfortunately, the colours are a bit muted.  My sheet came munched due to the soft packaging.  While I won't be using the stickers on the truck, I might use them on a future Ice Cream parlour modular moc.

Time to start building.  All of the 228 pieces came packaged in six cellophane bags.  I've dumped them all out here.

I tried to sort all the pieces by colour, but kind of stopped before finishing all the white pieces.  Anyways you can see that the primary colours are the white, turquoise blue and pink pieces.

In terms of accessories, there is a small beige and pink table with a translucent pink patio umbrella.  The set also comes with 2 Lego Friends style minifigures.
There's a male minifig with an ice cream logo on his shirt, so he would be the ice cream vendor.  And there's a female minifig whom I guess will be the customer.
An extra hand was included.  As always, the Friends style minifigs will be given to my neighbours kids.

And here's the completed ice cream truck.  It's a neat little design with the cab area accessed by two opening doors. I like the green colours of the serving window.

With the low awning and the ice cream treats in front of the window, it makes it hard to see anyone inside the truck, I think.  The giant ice cream cone on the roof, is similar to one seen on the Lego ice cream truck.  This Gudi truck is a unique design and not copied from any Lego set.

Here's the Gudi ice cream truck pictured together with the Enlighten ice cream truck for comparison.  They are both relatively the same size length and height wise, except the Gudi truck has larger wheels.  Both trucks display well in on the streets of Its Not Lego town.   The Gudi truck serving window faces the road which is very dangerous.  After I took this picture, I remembered that I modified my Enlighten truck to put the serving window on the curb side of the truck for the safety of the minifigs. Clearly, I will have to do the same with the Gudi truck.

And done!  Here's the Gudi ice cream truck with the serving window moved curbside.

If these vehicles were parked against the curb, this is how they would look like.

Here's the front view of both trucks.  Note that the Enlighten version came with printed pieces, not stickered.  The Gudi truck has a taller windscreen than the Enlighten truck. I prefer the Enlighten trucks PA system.

The Gudi ice cream truck comes with a rear window, whereas the Enlighten truck has an opening door on the back.

While I do like the Gudi version of ice cream truck, not sure if I will continue having 2 ice cream trucks in the town.  The Gudi design lends itself better to a conversion to a food truck by simply replacing the pink bricks.


I already have a fries food truck, so maybe a salad food truck?  Let me know what you think.



Anyways, thanks for looking and see you next time.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried the Sembo vendor trucks from Ali Express? They have really neat details, and the decals are on STURDY textured paper that doesn't shred and can be carefully adjusted.

    ReplyDelete